Party Wall Surveyors in London
Able Surveyors are a team of experienced chartered surveyors, building surveyors and party wall surveyors in London and Essex offering specialist advice for all party wall related matters. If you are looking to improve or develop your property, the works may be notifiable under The Party Wall Act 1996. Whether you are a Building Owner or Adjoining Owner, contact us for expert guidance on how to follow the process set out by the legislation.
Why do you need a party wall surveyor?
Building Owners who are planning construction or building works on a party wall must do so according to party wall legislation. The Party Wall Act 1996 provides a framework for preventing or resolving disputes between adjoining neighbours in relation to party walls, party structures, boundary walls and excavations near neighbouring buildings.
Here are some typical examples of building work that could be affected:
- Loft conversions in terraced or semi-detached houses, or top floor flats, involving the insertion of beams into a party wall
- Chimney breast removals in properties where the chimney breast is attached to a shared wall
- Building extensions requiring excavation work within 3 metres of a party structure that is lower than existing neighbouring foundations
- New walls constructed on boundary lines
- Basement extensions in terraced or semi-detached properties requiring underpinning of a party wall
If the proposed works fall within the scope of the Act, the Building Owner must serve notice and obtain the consent of all affected Adjoining owners. If no consent is given, the parties are deemed to be ‘in dispute’. In this case, party wall surveyors must be instructed to resolve the dispute by way of a Party Wall Award.
At Able Surveyors, we highly recommend that you instruct our experienced party wall surveyors at the earliest opportunity during your planning phase. Party wall matters involve complex processes that require the knowledge of an expert. Proceeding without the benefit of a professional assistance may lead to additional expense, unwelcome building delays and a potential dispute.
Have you been served a Party Wall Notice?
If you have received a Party Wall Notice from a neighbour, it is prudent to take professional advice before you give your consent. At Able Surveyors, we offer our independent expertise to explain what the building plans mean for your property, and help you understand the legal process and your rights as an Adjoining Owner.
Bear in mind that there could be issues arising not just with the party wall itself but also in the vicinity of a party structure or adjoining building. There may also be possible consequences of the proposed building works affecting the surrounding ground and foundations.
While the Party Wall Act affords the Building Owner certain rights, such as rights to accessing your land for the purposes of completing the work, it also seeks to protect the building interests of Adjoining Owners. There are set processes to determine the manner and timing of the work, with the ability to claim compensation for any damages caused.
Able Surveyors have many years’ experience and deep expertise in party wall matters in London and Essex and can help to guide you safely through this often complex process. Get in touch to find out more.
With 25+ years in the industry, Able Surveyors have built up an enviable reputation for the quality of our residential and commercial surveying services in London and Essex. Our team is proud to deliver valuable, commercial focused advice and guidance to assist property owners and occupiers when they need professional expertise.
We are specialists in party wall matters, while our extensive service portfolio also comprises RICS property surveys, in-depth surveys for special defects and concerns, lease extension surveys, dilapidation surveys and more.
We are members of the Royal Institution of Chartered Surveyors (RICS) and the Chartered Institute of Building (CIOB) with a wealth of surveying and construction management experience to put at your disposal. If you are looking for valuable professional insights to help you manage your property asset in London or Essex, you couldn’t be in better hands.
Frequently Asked Questions
- Does the Party Wall Act apply to all buildings?
The Party Wall Act applies in England and Wales (but not Scotland or Northern Ireland) to residential and commercial properties where extensions or new developments are proposed that may affect the shared boundary. Building Owners have a legal obligation to notify Adjoining Owners and follow the process set out in the legislation.
- What is a Party Wall Survey?
Party Wall Surveys are carried out by Chartered Surveyors, either on behalf of the Building Owner or Adjoining Owner. The survey involves a professional inspection of the party wall or structure to determine if the proposed work is going to affect the shared structure or surrounding area, and to provide advice and guidance.
- How do you notify an Adjoining Owner?
A formal Party Wall Notice must be served at least 2 months before the proposed start of the works. The format and content of the Notice is prescribed by law and is intended to inform Adjoining Owners of the implications of the proposals on the neighbours. We recommend that you discuss your construction plans with your neighbours informally before you serve Notice, to forestall misunderstandings and maximise cooperation.
- What happens after Notice is served?
The Adjoining Owner has 14 days to give their written consent, otherwise the parties are deemed to be in dispute and surveyors are appointed. An Agreed Surveyor may be instructed to act for both the Building Owner and Adjoining Owner, or each party can appoint their own surveyor to represent their property interests.
- What is included in a Party Wall Award?
A Party Wall Award sets out the parties and building work involves and determines the manner and timings in which this is to be undertaken. It will also include a Schedule of Condition, a photographic and written record to document the current condition of the adjoining property, so that any damage can be identified and made good at the end of the project.
Why Choose Us?
- Able Surveyors have built up an excellent reputation for commercial property management services and specialist building surveys for homes and businesses in London and the Home Counties. From our offices in Essex and Central London, we deliver valuable, commercially focused advice and guidance to assist property owners, operators and managers of retail premises, industrial units, educational establishments and other business premises, as well as residential property, to make informed decisions about their asset acquisition, disposal or management.
- We have 25+ years of surveying experience and a seasoned team of RICS Chartered Surveyors to put at your disposal. Our highly competent, motivated surveyors have a wealth of expertise dealing with different types of residential and commercial property in and around London, providing commercial property management services and building surveys for homes and businesses. If you are looking for valuable professional insights to help you get the most from your property investment or building management, you couldn’t be in better hands.
- Able Surveyors are proud to be members of the Royal Institution of Chartered Surveyors (RICS), our esteemed professional body. We comply with the strict RICS code of conduct, rules and regulations and are regularly monitored for quality. That way, we can provide peace of mind to all clients that they will continue to receive the highest standards of service excellence. As experienced construction management professionals in the London area, we are also members of the Chartered Institute of Building (CIOB).
- We offer a wealth of professional surveying and building-related services for residential and commercial property clients in Central London, Greater London and Essex. Our extensive service portfolio comprises the full suite of RICS property surveys and valuations as well as in-depth surveys for specific defects or concerns, including detailed damp and subsidence investigations, and snagging reports for new-build property. For commercial landlords and tenants, we can help with Schedules of Condition and Dilapidation Surveys as well as Lease Extension Surveys and more.
GET IN TOUCH TODAY TO BOOK A SURVEY OR SEEK EXPERT PROPERTY ADVICE